Power House Museum
Quilpie was the first town to have a Powerhouse as a result of a government scheme to provide electricity to small towns in rural and outback Queensland.
Located in Winchu Street, Quilpie’s Powerhouse was commissioned in March 1952, followed by Richmond’s in June, Tara’s in September and Julia Creek’s in October 1952.
Between March 1952 and December 1956, twenty-three schemes were initiated with more to follow.
1986 – 1987 215km of 66kV transmission line built by the board runs from Charleville to Quilpie at a cost of $3,870,000
1986 – 1988 2270kms of SWER Rural Distribution Lines are built through the Quilpie Shire at a cost of $8,017,000. There are 180 distribution substations.